Smoky Vanilla Bean Basque Cheesecake
By Ofer Ben Natan – “Pop&Pop” Bakery, Israel
15 minutes to prepare | 40 minutes to cook | 10-12 serving
Many regions have their own iconic version of a local cheesecake.
Basque Country is famous for its own delicious interpretation the Burnt Basque Cheesecake. This cake is special because of its slightly smoky flavor, as well as for its lightly dry and cracked exterior.
The following recipe was created by renowned pastry chef Ofer Ben Natan. With its intoxicating blend of sweet and bitter notes, this is one cake you will never forget!
- One ground Vanilla Vida bean
- 900 grams of cream cheese (at least 30% fat)
- 330 grams of sugar
- 6 eggs
- 400 grams of heavy cream (32% fat)
- A pinch of smoked sea salt
- 30 grams of white flour
- Mix sugar, cream cheese, sea salt and ground vanilla
- Add fresh eggs
- Combine with heavy cream and flour
- Bake at 210 C for 30-40 minutes